Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Sid and Marty Krofft - 70s TV geniuses, or a couple of acidheads?

You be the judge. Here are the intro and closing themes to a very strange TV show I used to watch in the early 1970s: What on earth was my mom thinking when she let me watch Lidsville? Some of the thematic material was a little edgy, to say the least. But the show was so bad, it was good. But if you think Lidsville was cheesy, take a look at H.R. Pufnstuf: This second show I only saw sporadically, in reruns. That's probably for the best.

3 comments:

Katie said...

I'd have to say it's an equal combination of both. They did do Land of the Lost, which was one of my favorite shows as a kid. Those Sleestaks used to scare the crap outta me.

Lidsville I've never even heard of before. I'm familiar with H.R. Pufnstuf but the character I always liked (and can't find that many folks remember) is Sigmund and the Sea Monsters.

Krankor said...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FHqcNj0Pv6c

El Cerdo Ignatius said...

Lidsville was one of my favourite shows during the year I was in kindergarten (1972/73). Instead of being shown on Saturday mornings, it was a once-a-week after school show, on either at 4:00 or 4:30. (After 35 years, a few details aren't as clear.)

But some of the story lines were clearly things I would prevent my kids from watching today. When "Mark", played by Butch Patrick, of all people, first arrived in Lidsville, he was promptly kidnapped and thrown into a dungeon by the evil "Horatio Hoodoo", played brilliantly by Charles Nelson Reilly. A traumatic kidnapping and hostage situation is really not the sort of thing a kids' show ought to have, but there it was.

I vaguely remember Land of the Lost, but have no memory at all of Sigmund and the Sea Monsters.