Monday, June 21, 2010

Fire Marshall Bill

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this aired during halftime of the Superbowl back in 1992:

"Oh the humanity! Hahahahahahahahaha!!"

I don't know what made me think of this, but Jim Carrey's Fire Marshall Bill character suddenly popped into my head. The continuing theme/gag of the character was that he was constantly warning others about extremely unheard of (or at least implausible) hazards, but he would end up causing explosions and fires himself.

I remembered something sad about that particular show, too: at the close of this episode, which was broadcast live, all the cast of In Living Color were gathered together to bid the audience thanks and goodbye, and Sam Kinison screamed, "I'd just like to say I'm really sorry I bet on Buffalo! Aaauugghhh!! Aaaugghhh!!!" It was one of his last appearances on television.

4 comments:

Fredd said...

Yeah, Jim Kelly, Marv Levy and the Bills back then, great teams that just never quite made the turn.

Good ol' Fire Marshall Bill. Great laughs, but incompetent as a Jimmy Carter or Barack Obama.

Jennifer said...

I worked with a young girl (25) earlier this year who did a spot on Fire Marshall Bill impression, she even had the eye thing down, it was spooky. We would get a great laugh whenever she was in the mood to entertain. Also, Aunt Judy went nuts over FMB, he is one of her all time favorite characters.

Katie said...

Weird, it's not letting me see the clip. But FMB was one character that always creeped the heck out of me, and I don't creep out easily.

El Cerdo Ignatius said...

Fredd: You remembered the Bills and their four-peat of Superbowl losses. Impressive!

Jennifer: I had forgotten that Judy was a big fan. I must work on my FMB impression and see if I can elicit a few yuks this weekend in Hfx.

Katie: Try it again. I couldn't get it going either, so I recopied the code (and it came out differently this time - very strange).

And remember, everyone: if your drinks tray resembles a dartboard, you could be asking for trouble.