Thursday, June 03, 2010

"Mom, bring me another brew, or I call the cops."

What on Earth is wrong with people in Florida? First we get a vendor (venduh?) giving flea markets a bad name in Citrus County, injuring himself and an 86-year-old bystander when a gun he was hawking accidentally fired. Apparently careless handling of a firearm in a crowded area is not punishable by law, at least not in Florida.

Now we have a Mr. Dennison in Pasco County, who called 911 in a very intoxicated state because his mom figured he was drunk enough and took his beer away. I understand that he would have felt it was a criminal matter, but no degree of drunkenness can cause a person to make this kind of miscalculation and actually call the police. This kind of stupidity is innate.

And let's not forget the great and now-infamous call to 911 in St. Lucie County last year, when an irate customer at McDonalds needed to report to the police that the restaurant had run out of Chicken McNuggets. Indeed.

What I am getting at is that the fiasco that took place in Palm Beach County in November 2000, when thousands of voters had trouble reading a ballot in an election, appears not to have been an isolated incident. There is trouble in the Sunshine State, and it's all about IQ. And it doesn't seem to be getting better.

UPDATE: It's even worse than I thought. A video story I linked to two years ago about a man who called 911 because he was unhappy with his local Subway restaurant originated from... Jacksonville. Yikes.

4 comments:

Katie said...

*Snerk*

Having had a friend who was stationed in Jacksonville, FL, and described it as the "armpit of America", that update doesn't surprise me.

Frankly, neither do any over the other examples you cite.

I do know a *few* smart people in Florida, but they seem to be greatly outnumbered by the idiots.

El Cerdo Ignatius said...

The worst part of the story I left out of the post, but here it is: that flea market is on Florida Rte 44, which I visit every year. Heck, I was just there a few weeks ago with my wife, children, and elderly parents-in-law. Scary.

The flipside of the story is that my travels and wanderings in Florida bring me into contact with some of the more simple, rural, drawling, gun-loving folk, and they almost always strike me as having a great deal of common sense, even if they're not intellectual. That's another reason the whole gun- at- the- flea- market story disappoints me so much.

Chris Denning said...

Funny. Unfortunately, there are idiots in every state. Most of ours out here in California are in the legislature and governor's hotel dwelling (we don't have a governor's mansion).

Madison said...

Love this post. Right up my alley (the annoyance with stupidity , I am not a resident of FLA).